Before you start to Learn to drive
It is a legal requirement that you apply for a provisional licence before you can start learning to drive.
What you need to apply for a Provisional Licence.
- Have valid prooof of identity
- Be resident in the UK
- Have three years of address history
- Have your 17th birthday within 3 months. You have to wait until your birthday to start learning.
- Be able to read a UK numberplate from 20 meters
- Be able to pay a fee of £34.00
Once you have completed your application the DVLA will normally send your licence to you in 2-3 weeks
Your driving instructor will need to see your licence before you start driving along with a DVSA code that verifies your entitlement to drive. To get this you will need the following before visiting the site:
- Your driving licence
- Your national insurance number
- Your home postcode